Government Blocks Tweets, Videos On BBC’s ‘Propaganda Piece’; Retd Officials Term Documentary ‘Delusions of British Imperial Resurrection’

The Center has reportedly issued instructions to block YouTube videos sharing the first episode of the BBC documentary “India: The Modi Question”. In addition to YouTube videos, the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting has also ordered Twitter to block more than 50 tweets containing links to the YouTube videos in question.

The directions were reportedly issued by Apurva Chandra, Secretary, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting on Friday using the emergency powers under the IT Rules, 2021.

Meanwhile, a countersigned statement was released on Saturday by retired judges, bureaucrats and armed forces veterans, denouncing the controversial BBC documentary criticizing Prime Minister Narendra Modi as “delusional of the resurrection of the British Empire”.

Government blocks access to BBC documentary

According to sources, senior officials from various ministries including foreign affairs, home affairs and information and broadcasting have investigated the documentary and determined that it was an attempt to violate the authority and credibility of the Supreme Court, sow division among various Indian communities, and making baseless allegations about foreign government actions in India.

They said the documentary undermined India’s sovereignty and integrity and had the potential to negatively affect friendly relations with foreign states and public order in the country.

Orders have also been issued to Twitter to block more than 50 tweets with links to the YouTube videos in question, they said, adding that social media platforms have followed the instructions.

Reliable sources have confirmed that senior officials from multiple ministries including MEA, MHA and MIB investigated the documentary and found that it was an attempt to defame the authority and credibility of the Supreme Court of India and to create division among various Indian communities . and making baseless allegations about foreign government actions in India.

Accordingly, it was determined that the documentary undermines India’s sovereignty and integrity and could potentially negatively impact India’s friendly relations with foreign countries, as well as public order in the country.

Govt calls BBC documentary a “propaganda piece”

Previously, the Foreign Office had described the BBC documentary as a “propaganda piece” that lacked objectivity and reflected a colonial mindset. the prime minister of the state.

“Let me make it very clear that we believe this is a propaganda piece designed to push a particular discredited narrative. The bias, lack of objectivity and, quite frankly, a persistent colonial mindset, are evident,” State Department spokesman Arindam Bagchi said Thursday in response to questions about the documentary.

Commenting on comments from former British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw about the riots, Bagchi said he appeared to be referring to an internal British government report.

“How do I access that? It’s a 20 year old report. Why should I jump on it now? Just because Jack Straw says so, how do they lend it so much legitimacy?” he wondered.

‘Delusions of the British Imperial Resurrection’

The letter, signed by more than 300 senior government officials, judges and veterans, called the controversial BBC documentary “delusional of the resurrection of the British Empire”.

“Not only is the BBC series – judging by what we have seen of it so far – based on misleading reporting, but it also presupposes the foundation of India’s 75 year old edifice of existence as an independent, democratic nation functioning according to the will of the people of India,” the signatories said.

It went on to call the documentary “the BBC’s foremost, hard-core negativity and unrelenting prejudice against India”.

The letter went on to say that while the BBC claims its series has been “rigorously researched to the highest editorial standards”, and “examines tensions between India’s Hindu majority and Muslim minority”.

However, there are “aside from glaring factual errors, the series – which repeatedly uses the words ‘supposedly’ and ‘allegedly’ (not ‘actually’) – smacks of motivated distortion that is as mind-numbingly baseless as it is outrageous.”

“This is most vividly demonstrated by the fact that the most important fact is completely sidelined: that India’s highest judicial institution, the Supreme Court of India, has unequivocally ruled out any role of Prime Minister Modi in the 2002 Gujarat violence, while allegations of complicity must be firmly rejected. and inaction by the then Gujarat state government headed by Prime Minister Modi,” said the signatories, accusing the BBC of “naturally thriving on sensationalism, no matter how false its basis.”

“This alone exposes the BBC’s malpractices and leads one to question the motivations behind this series,” the letter added.

Read all the latest India news here

Leave a Comment